1500 Hwy 197 N, Clarkesville, GA 30523
(706) 754-7700 | Website
Commercial Truck Driving Certificate
The Commercial Truck Driving certificate program provides basic training in the principles and skills of commercial truck operations. The program is based on the definition of a truck driver as one who operates a commercial motor vehicle of all different sizes and descriptions on all types of roads. At the completion of the program, the student is administered the Georgia CDL Skills Exam.
North Georgia Technical College is committed to providing an environment that ensures the safety and well-being of employees, students, campus visitors, and the public; and prohibits influences that may have a detrimental effect upon the orderly, safe, and efficient operation of our commercial motor vehicles (CMV). The purpose of this handbook is to assure North Georgia Technical College’s employee and student fitness for duty and to protect our employees, students, customers, and the public from the risks posed by the use of alcohol and prohibited controlled substances when drivers, including students, operate a North Georgia Technical College commercial motor vehicle (CMV).
North Georgia Technical College's Clarkesville Campus originally was the home of the Georgia Ninth District School of Agriculture and Mechanical Arts (The A&M), which was active from 1907 until 1933. From 1938 to 1943, the campus was home of "Habersham College" and the National Youth Administration, one of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt's programs during the Great Depression.
Recognizing the need for occupational training for Georgians, the State Legislature created a vocational division in the State Board of Education, which approved a plan creating a system of state vocational schools in October 1943. The initial location for North Georgia Trade and Vocational School was chosen in 1943, and the school accepted its first student in February 1944.
As the demand for technical training grew, more courses were added. In 1962, the name of the school was changed to North Georgia Technical and Vocational School. On July 1, 1985, North Georgia Tech was placed under the governance of the new state board, which today is called the Technical College System of Georgia. In 1987, the name was changed to North Georgia Technical Institute.
The Clarkesville Campus of North Georgia Technical College is located in a mountain setting off Georgia Highway 197 one and one-half miles north of Clarkesville, the county seat of Habersham County. It is situated on 339 acres with the campus covering approximately 40 acres. It is 30 miles northeast of Gainesville, 50 miles north of Athens, and 90 miles northeast of Atlanta off Interstates 85/985 and 365.
As part of former Governor Zell Miller's pledge to bring a postsecondary institution within 40 miles of every Georgian, the 1995 legislative session appropriated 5.5 million dollars to build a state-of-the-art facility to be located on 25 acres along the Zell Miller Parkway just outside the town of Blairsville. Union County graciously donated the land on which the Blairsville Campus is located. The 45,000+ square foot facility was built on a knoll with a dramatic view of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains. Classes began September 30, 1998, for the Blairsville Campus of North Georgia Technical Institute.
July 1, 2000, House Bill 1187 was made into law and paved the way for Georgia’s technical institutes to become technical colleges. North Georgia Technical Institute became North Georgia Technical College on October 10, 2000.
The Currahee Campus of NGTC was completed in southern Stephens County in 2005. This campus is a 45,000+ square foot state-of-the-art facility and located in the Haystone Brady Industrial Park.In Summer 2007 the College celebrated its 100th birthday. The new Transportation Center and Visual Technology Center opened Summer 2007 on the Clarkesville Campus.
Improvements to campus facilities are continuing with the most recent accomplishments being the new Welding Building which opened in September, 2011; the major renovation to the Hoyt Coe building, completed in June, 2012; and the renovation of the Parker-Nellis building, completed in 2014. A new Health Sciences wing opened on the Currahee Campus in 2014, and the construction of a similar expansion to the Blairsville Campus began in 2014 with a targeted completion date of 2016.