Commerical Driver Training
The Commercial Driver Training certificate program is designed for individuals with little or no commercial driving experience. The Commercial Driver Training program trains students for entry level employment as commercial motor vehicle operators. In partnership with the Illinois Department of Transportation, this program prepares students to obtain a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) in the State of Illinois.
City Colleges of Chicago (CCC) aims to put every student on the path to upward mobility.
City Colleges of Chicago is the largest community colleges system in Illinois and one of the largest in the nation, with more than 4,000 faculty and staff serving 77,000 students annually at seven colleges and five satellite sites.
Olive-Harvey College, located at 10001 South Woodlawn Avenue in southeast Chicago, serves thousands of students annually in their pursuit of a certificate, degree, GED or learning English as a second language. In 2013, City Colleges of Chicago unveiled its Five-Year Strategic Plan, outlining key metrics crucial to student success. Olive-Harvey College met or exceeded 7 of 12 of its goals on the FY2014 Scorecard, including graduation rate.
Olive-Harvey College offers a number of programs in transportation, distribution and logistics (TDL) – one of the region’s fastest growing industry segments. The curriculum’s focus on key modes of transportation such as air, rail and road will help to prepare students for the 110,000 TDL jobs anticipated in the Chicagoland region over the next decade. A $45M TDL facility is currently under construction to produce the highly-skilled professionals needed to meet future industry demand.
Students can learn:
- The fundamentals of moving raw and/or finished products from points of origin to customers, including: product receiving, storage, order processing, packaging, shipping, inventory control, hazardous materials handling, dispatch, tracking, equipment operations and managerial functions.
- The skills and tools for obtaining a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).
- Health & safety for TDL including basic OSHA standards, safe lifting practices and driver wellness.
- The rules, regulations and requirements to which warehouses and distribution centers must adhere.
- About practical career opportunities in the public chauffeur field, which includes livery, limo and medical carriers.
Olive-Harvey students also learn from tours of TDL facilities, guest industry speakers and professional development workshops designed to create more qualified and competitive candidates for TDL jobs.
Olive-Harvey College is the largest campus of any of the City Colleges, providing an atmosphere conducive to personal, social, and academic growth and success. Parking is available for visitors and students and several transit routes are available including the CTA Red Line, and the CTA buses #28 and #106.