Professional Truck Driving
Orangeburg-Calhoun Technical College offers an excellent training program for beginning commercial motor vehicle drivers. The curriculum incorporates classroom instruction in a modern facility; media based learning strategies, and hands-on guidance to fully prepare students for the South Carolina Commercial Driver’s License examination. Entry into the program is competitive, and may require additional documentation for consideration. Both federal and state financial aid is available to qualified students.
The mission of the program is to provide professional comprehensive training offered by state certified instructors for individuals at all levels of experience. Instruction focuses on safety and flexibility, resulting in the achievement of sustainable employment and competitive wages for students as a commercial motor vehicle license carrier. Students also learn the basics of the business of Truck Driving.
Students are required to sign a program contract, which includes the wearing of appropriate safety-related apparel. The following items are not provided and must be purchased by the student.
- 2 uniform shirts
- 1 log book ruler
- Shoes with closed heels and toes, preferably boots or sneakers.
- Current Copy of your South Carolina Driver’s License
- Current official 10 year driver record obtainable from your local SCDMV
- Current SLED catch results (which can be obtained online at www.sled.sc.gov)
- Workkeys assessment scores less than 5 years old from date of enrollment
- Fluent in the English language, both spoken and written
- Ability to pass the Department of Transportation physical and drug screen with aminimum of 20/40 vision in each eye with or without corrective lenses, and no defects or diseases that would interfere with safely operating the equipment used throughout the training
- Completion of TDR 101 is a requirement prior to attending TDR 102 and TDR 103
Classroom instruction, media-based learning and hands-on guidance prepare you for the S.C. Commercial Driver’s License exam. Enter a growing field with competitive employment opportunities and wages.
Orangeburg-Calhoun Technical College is a member of the American Association of Community Colleges and is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award Associate in Arts, Associate in Science and Associate in Applied Science degrees, diplomas and certificates. It is a comprehensive two-year technical college that provides training for jobs in new and expanding industries, upgrading programs for workers already employed and university transfer opportunities.
The goal of the college is to nurture and cultivate the unique qualities of each student through an interesting curriculum, in an inspiring environment and under the leadership of involved instructors. Class size is small, ensuring that each student receives the individualized attention essential for the realization of his or her potential, with the number one priority being the student’s success in school and beyond.
To that end, all courses required for degree, diploma and certificate graduates relate directly to their majors and to competencies needed for professional advancement after graduation. The opportunity for this type of concentration is one of the primary advantages of attending OCtech.