2201 S Washington St, Amarillo, TX 79109
(806) 371-5000 | Website
CDL Training - Truck Driving
The Transportation Industry is growing and there is a high demand for well-trained drivers. This eight-week course utilizes state-of-the-art simulator training, classroom instruction, range and road driving, and practical application of skills used in the operation of a tractor-trailer.
The truck driving course prepares students to complete the written exams and the driving exam necessary to receive a Class A Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with all endorsements. The course meets all Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration guidelines. Students who successfully complete the entire course will receive a class "A" Commercial Driver License, a certificate of completion and be qualified to secure an entry-level job as a Commercial Motor Vehicle driver. To obtain a Certificate of Completion the student must pass all Texas Department of Public Safety requirements for a Class A Commercial Driver License issued by the State of Texas and miss no more than 2 days of class. Students will have ample training, opportunity and assistance to talk with visiting recruiters, apply for employment, and pass the DPS written and skills tests with an Amarillo College vehicle.
1 - Commercial Drivers License Written Skills - Overview of the State of Texas Class A Commercial Drivers License written test. In-depth coverage of general knowledge, air brakes, combination vehicle, doubles and triples, tankers, and hazardous materials. Includes preparation for mastery of the Commercial Drivers License written examination.
2 - Commercial Drivers License Driving Skills - Overview of the State of Texas Class A Commercial Drivers License driving test. In-depth coverage of in-cab air brake test, proper shifting, right and left-hand turns, movement in traffic, parking of a tractor trailer, highway and city driving, and backward movement and control.
3 - Commercial Drivers License Overview - Overview of the State of Texas Class A Commercial Drivers License written test and preparation for mastery of the Commercial Drivers License written examination.
4 - Fundamental Driving Skills - Operation of a tractor-trailer combination. Emphasis on the safe maneuvering and control of the tractor-trailer in numerous traffic situations and sharing the highway with other vehicles.
5 - Semi Tractor-Trailer Operator Driving Skills - Operation of a tractor-trailer combination in city and highway conditions including control and maneuvering of the vehicle through various traffic situations with numerous tractor-trailer combinations.
6 - Advanced Driving Skills I - Operation of a tractor-trailer combination in city and highway conditions including control and maneuvering of the vehicle through various traffic situations with numerous tractor-trailer combinations.
7 - Advanced Driving Skills II - Continuation of tractor-trailer operation in city and highway conditions. Emphasis on practical applications of space management techniques, improved methods for control in difficult traffic situations, and effective operation in various conditions.
- Check vehicles to ensure that mechanical, safety, and emergency equipment is in good working order.
- Maneuver trucks into loading or unloading positions, following signals from loading crew and checking that vehicle and loading equipment are properly positioned.
- Collect delivery instructions from appropriate sources, verifying instructions and routes.
- Maintain logs of working hours or of vehicle service or repair status, following applicable state and federal regulations.
- Secure cargo for transport, using ropes, blocks, chain, binders, or covers.
- Report vehicle defects, accidents, traffic violations, or damage to the vehicles.
- Drive trucks with capacities greater than 3 tons, including tractor-trailer combinations, to transport and deliver products, livestock, or other materials.
- Drive trucks to weigh stations before and after loading and along routes to document weights and to comply with state regulations.
- Obtain receipts or signatures for delivered goods and collect payment for services when required.
Inventory and inspect goods to be moved to determine quantities and conditions.