COMMERCIAL DRIVER’S LICENSE (CDL) CLASS A
Day and Evening Classes Available
Professional truck drivers deliver the goods that keep America and our economy moving! Truck driving is not just a job; it is the beginning of a professional career. There is a shortage of drivers because the demand for professional truck drivers is growing faster than the number of new drivers entering the field. Obtain a Commercial Driver’s License today and get on the road to success.
Program Information - Tooele Tech Certificate of Proficiency: Commercial Driver's License, and pass the Utah State Commercial Drivers License exam
Location & Hours of Availability:
Tooele Tech Campus
88 S. Tooele Blvd., Tooele
Tooele Tech offers day and evening hours for students. Our open/entry open/exit schedule allows students to start any given week. Please call of come in to speak with enrollment staff for more information and to check availability.
7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and 5:00 to 9:00 p.m., Monday - Friday (will include evening and possible Saturday driving hours as needed)
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Valid Utah driver’s license
- Must have had a driver’s license (any state) for a minimum of one year
- Pass the Department of Transportation (DOT) physical exam and cleared for 12-months
- Pass a 9-panel drug screen
- Pass a background check
- Provide current Motor Vehicle Record
- The following violations will preclude a student from enrolling in the program:
- DUI’s on record within 7 to 10 years depending on employer requirements
- More than 2 moving violations in the last 3 years
- Reckless, careless, negligent driving or excessive speed violations
- Impaired driving violation in 3 years
- Hit and Run violations
- Felony related driving violations
Defined-entry/Defined-exit: 160 hours / 4-weeks. Open-entry/Open-exit Flex Schedule: 160 hours / 4 to 11 weeks.
Math & English Levels:
Students entering Transportation Technology programs will be assessed using the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE), and through high school or college transcripts. A TABE score of 9th grade in math and reading comprehension is recommended.
Occupation & Licensure Requirements:
Obtain personal Motor Vehicle Record indicating there are no unresolved motor vehicle violations in any of the 50 states
Pass the Department of Motor Vehicles CDL permit test after the first week of class
Employers may have additional requirements
Program Certificate Syllabus:
The College has detailed program syllabi which outline the courses and modules in each program. Students will gain a better understanding of their program’s competencies and course progression by tracking their progress through the Certificate Syllabus.
Students will receive a detailed disclosure document from their instructor on the first day of class which discusses important information about being a student in this program.
Skills you will learn:
- Orientation to the field of truck driving, including doubles, triples and tankers
- Safety requirements for operating a semi-truck
- Prepare for and obtain your CDL learner’s permit
- Become familiar with control systems
- Learn how to perform pre and post trip inspections
- Learn the requirements for operation-hours of service
- Learn to back, drop and hook
- Learn speed and space management
- Learn night and extreme driving conditions
- Special rigs
- Preventative maintenance
- Cargo management, documentation
- Trip planning methods
- City, highway and parking lot driving
- Public and employer relations
- Mountain driving
- Emergency parking
- Chain up
Length of Program: Defined-entry/Defined-exit: 160 hours
Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Refresher – (40 hours per week, start any Monday – No Evening Hours)
Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Class B – (40 hours per week, start any Monday – No Evening Hours)
The Tooele Technical College (Tooele Tech) is the newest college of the Utah System of Technical Colleges (UTECH) system. The eight colleges that make up the UTECH system each serve a specific geographic region within the state. Tooele Tech serves high school students, adults and businesses in Tooele County, including Dugway, Grantsville, Stansbury Park, Tooele and Wendover.
As the technical college for this large region of Utah, Tooele Tech’s mission is to provide its students with hands-on training and certification to prepare them for successful careers in Utah’s job market today. The college works closely with employers to determine the latest skills required for jobs in demand and to ensure classes are affordable and accessible for all. Courses and programs are developed around teaching these skills through hands-on training in real world applications. These programs and courses are offered to you year-round, on your own schedule, and at your own pace. You can feel comfortable that the certifications you earn at Tooele Tech will help to prepare you for a rewarding career.