A shortage of long-haul drivers prompted the creation of Big Bend Community College’s Commercial Truck Driving Program.
The course provides classroom study and behind-the-wheel driving and experience. The program covers a variety of professional
topics and prepare students for entry-level job opportunities. Class includes defensive driving techniques, brake adjustment, equipment inspection, hazardous material transportation, DOT log books, trip planning, and other job-related topics. Class space is
limited and early registration is strongly recommended. Dorms are available.
This 4-6 week course provides classroom study and 160 hours of driving instruction experience. Class includes Class A license
with no air brake restrictions and the endorsements for doubles and triples, tankers and hazardous material, defensive driving
techniques, brake adjustment, equipment inspection, hazardous material transportation, DOT log books, trip planning, and other
The CDL program prepares students for the CDL driving examination and entry-level employment. Regular attendance and
punctuality are critical for successful completion. To be eligible for admissions to the BBCC Commercial Driver’s License program
applicants must complete the following (and is recommended that items be completed in this order):
1. Completed State of Washington Community and Technical College Application for Admission (Application for Admission BBCC).
2. Completed CDL Program Application.
3. Completed BBCC Class Registration Form.
4. Copy of a valid Washington State Driver’s License
5. Copy of the completed Department of Transportation (DOT) physical form and card.
6. Pay all tuition and fees at the time of registration.
7. Student must have CDL permit before the start of class
8. A pre-enrollment controlled substances test is mandatory. The test will be taken at the start of the program no later than
the 3rd day of class. If the controlled substances test results are positive, the applicant will be expelled.
Commercial Driver’s License Certificate of Accomplishment (17 credits)
The Certificate of Accomplishment is designed to provide recognition of completion of an approved course offered through a
particular program. Upon completion of the following option, the student will earn a Certificate of Accomplishment from BBCC.