Become a professional truck driver and earn great wages while enjoying the freedom of the road in a matter of months through Gateway’s new Truck Driving technical diploma. This affordable, 360-hour program covers all aspects of professional driving, including preparation to pass your Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) exam. After graduating, you’ll be prepared to begin a challenging, rewarding career in the high-demand transportation industry.
- Become a well-rounded driver through detailed training in truck driving laws, maintenance, log book use, trip planning, cargo management, customer service and all aspects of safety.
- Learn from the experts, including a lead instructor with over 38 years of experience and highly skilled staff and recruiters who are eager to help develop your potential as a truck driver.
- Train hands-on in late model tractor trailers and state-of-the-art facilities at Gateway’s Horizon Center for Transportation Technology.
- Earn your CDL after graduation, using the knowledge and skills you’ve learned in the program to become certified to drive commercial vehicles and quickly enter your career.
- Stand out from the competition in the hiring process with a ten-credit, comprehensive technical diploma under your belt and hit the road as a professional truck driver.
In this course, students examine laws related to the commercial driver's license (CDL) and the operation of a commercial motor vehicle (CMV). Through simulation and hands-on learning experiences, students explore vehicle systems, inspect and operate a CMV safely, and investigate the operations of a tractor semi-trailer. By the completion of the course, students must obtain a CDL instruction permit.
In this course, students practice driving skills in anticipation of obtaining a commercial driver's license (CDL). Students enhance their skills by driving in a variety of situations and environments they will encounter as a professional driver. They investigate topics related to trip planning, loading procedures, weight distribution techniques, and security issues. Upon completion of the course, students will be able to properly inspect and safely operate a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) in controlled settings.
In this course, students improve their operating skills required for the day-to-day demands of the career. Students examine the truck driver's role as a professional. Students apply transportation rules and regulations as they relate to safety, special rigs, and hazardous material. Students must obtain a commercial driver's license (CDL) to successfully complete the course.
OVER 100 YEARS OF SUCCESS
Gateway Technical College began in 1911 as America’s first publicly funded technical college, preparing students to achieve their academic and professional goals. Our hands-on training in over 70 programs of study prepares 21,000 students annually to enter new careers or advance their current ones. We value and serve students and communities in Kenosha, Racine and Walworth counties through a nationally recognized approach to career and technical education.