100 Community College Dr, Bluffton, SC 29909
(843) 525-8284 | Alt: (843) 470-6000 | Website
Hit the Road. The Career - CDL Truck Driver
Need a job quickly that pays well? The Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Truck Driving program is the answer. Currently there are over 100,000 vacant jobs in the field.
Heavy and tractor-trailer truck drivers transport goods from one location to another. Most tractor-trailer drivers are long-haul drivers and operate trucks with a gross vehicle weight (GVW) capacity of more than 26,000 pounds. These drivers deliver goods over intercity routes, sometimes spanning several states. For those who prefer to stay close to home, there is also high demand for CDL drivers for local routes.
Heavy and tractor-trailer truck drivers y must have a commercial driver’s license (CDL). The median annual wage for heavy and tractor-trailer truck drivers was $41,340, according to 2016 reports from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Employment is projected to grow 5 percent from 2014 to 2024. As the economy grows, the demand for goods will increase and more truck drivers will be needed to keep supply chains moving.
Heavy and tractor-trailer truck drivers typically do the following:
- Drive long distances
- Report to a dispatcher any incidents encountered on the road
- Follow all applicable traffic laws
- Inspect their trailers before and after the trip, and record any defects they find
- Maintain a log of their working hours, following all federal and state regulations
- Report serious mechanical problems to the appropriate personnel
- Keep their trucks and associated equipment clean and in good working order
Earn your CDL certificate in just eight weeks. TCL offers training at the New River Campus. Classes cover instruction, pre-trip inspections, and practical highway driving practice as well as testing. This 180-hour course includes Background Check, required drug screen, books and training.
Financial Assistance may be available through WIOA, SNAP, Voc. Rehab, GI Bill®, and the Transitioning Military Training Program.